When I watched the Golden Globes last Sunday, in their acceptance speeches, both Jodi Foster and Kevin Costner sounded like they were retiring from the business. At least that’s what it sounded like to me. I guess time will tell. It matters not. I’m only bringing it up because I find myself, once again, being offered another award. For which I am very grateful.
Sincere thanks go to Chris, the woman behind Press “M” for Menopause. Like so many of us she’s a multi-tasker, with tons on her plate. She turned to blogging because she thought it would be a great way to express herself; and meet people with similar interests. She’s also a very good photographer, who’s just bought herself a fabulous, new camera. So when you visit her blog, be sure to check out her second one, SHUTTER, (great name, by the way) which is devoted to her photography.
So now you’re thoroughly confused, I imagine. Wondering what Jodi Foster and Kevin Costner’s speeches have to do with me. Well, I know I keep repeating myself, but I am truly overwhelmed at the response this blog is receiving. I am very
pleasantly surprised. To say I am thrilled is an understatement. I am truly, truly thankful. And I am not ashamed to say, I hope you continue to enjoy it for a long time to come.
But I think it’s time to spread the wealth. WordPress is full of talent, and talent in-the-making. Something else I repeat over and over again. Because it’s true. And I would feel so much better if the spotlight shifted a bit. A little less ‘light’ over here, and some more ‘over there’. There are just so many bloggers who deserve some attention and encouragement; and sometimes, in a crowd this size, it’s hard to get noticed.
Which is the beauty of these awards we give each other. And the purpose.
To get the ball rolling, I am accepting this award on behalf of all the women who take time they don’t have, to share their lives, their stories, their ups, their downs, their hopes, their dreams, their experiences (good and bad), their hobbies, their sacrifices, their secrets, their disappointments, their relationships, their triumphs, their ambitions, their recipes, their goals, their likes, their dislikes, their ‘everything’ with all of us.
All to say, I’m taking one for the ‘gals’. The ‘sistas’. Ergo, the title of this post.
And then I’ll be taking a bit of a rest. No more awards for a while. At least not until I can make some room on the mantel.
Can’t go anywhere, though, until I’ve answered a few questions and nominated some worthy bloggers for this award. Answers first:
- My favourite colour. Black, to wear. It’s definitely my ‘power’ colour. A deep, intense, bright turquoise (like you see in India) to have all around me. It’s a colour that’s full of promise, hope, happiness and warmth.
- My favourite animal. I love them all. Big and small. Wild and tame. But my furry house mates would not be pleased if I didn’t say, cats.
- My favourite non-alcoholic drink. Freshly squeezed, ice cold lemonade (not too sweet), with a fresh sprig of mint.
- Facebook or Twitter. Both and also LinkedIn. Didn’t think much of Twitter in the early days, but I have a new appreciation for it now.
- Do you prefer getting or giving presents? I’ve always loved giving gifts. I love the whole process, from coming up with the perfect something, to not giving up looking until I find it, to anticipating the joy and surprise with which it will, hopefully, be received. It gives me great pleasure. And that’s my gift.
- Favourite day of the week. I don’t really have a favourite. But seeing as how most people hate Monday, I’ll say “Monday”. It is the one day of the week where we can really start off with a clean slate, after all.
- My favourite flower. I love tulips. They’re simple, straight forward and so cheerful.
- My passion. Writing, writing, writing, writing. Have lots of other interests, but writing is for my soul.
Now the moment you’ve been waiting for. The next recipients of the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. Some have been around a while, some not but I’m a fan of all three:
- Nessy Mathew has been blogging on and off for years. But never under her own name. Until now, that is. Her blog, Conscious Understanding, has only been around since December 2012, but I’m already hooked. Her purpose is to grow, to understand and to share; and her hope is, it will help you in some way.
- The author of Three Cats And My Coffee Cup is forty-something, happily married and a mom to three cats. After twenty years in the restaurant business she packed it in to work with animals. And to blog about whatever she feels like talking about. Pour yourself a cup of coffee, head on over and enjoy!
- Ronnie Hammer, over at Morris Town Memos, is a woman on a mission. To cheer up the world and become its goodwill ambassador. With all the bad news we’re confronted with every minute of every day, this blog is just what the doctor ordered.
Ladies, over to you! I’m going to go keep the boys company now.