Day 229. Sleepless Night

You all know I went out Thursday night.  For dinner, and to hear some live music.  It was fabulous.  But the only downside is, it kept me up all night.  Sounds sleeplessstrange, I know, but it’s true.

When you’re there, in person, watching and listening it’s really energizing.  You’re in the moment.  You have no idea what time it is, nor do you care.  You’re pumped.  The adrenaline is just coursing through your body.  You could stay there all night.  You could dance all night.  And I suppose the fact you’re drinking also has a little something to do with it.

All I know is, as I sat there, in that lounge, I had more energy than I’ve had in a long time.  Which was great.  Except there was no sleeping for me when I got home.

First off, I was totally wide awake.  I tried going to bed not long after I got home, at around 11:30.  I was bouncing off the walls.  So I got up and read for a while.  Still wasn’t tired.  Watched some TV.  Still wasn’t tired.  Needless to say, I was afraid to listen to music.

Finally at around 2:00 a.m. I thought I’d give it another try.  I was beginning to feel a bit groggy.

I did fall asleep.  For a while.

At 4:00 a.m. I suddenly woke up.  And that was it.  There was just no way I could fall back asleep.  I forced myself to stay in bed, in the hopes I’d eventually pass out, but it never happened.  I must have fallen asleep at some point, maybe close to when I normally get up, because I vaguely remember my alarm going off.  Several times.

Yes, I’m one of those people.  I set my alarm to ring three or four times, twenty minutes apart.  I’m usually a heavy sleeper and I’ve always been paranoid about over-sleeping.  Just like I ended up doing yesterday morning.

My alarm could wake the dead.  But I was in such a dead sleep I barely heard it.  And, in a stupor, I clearly kept shutting it off.  Because the next thing I knew my phone was ringing.  That’s what eventually woke me up.  And it was about 9:30.


There was a lot on my to-do list for Friday, so I had no choice but to get up.  Wasn’t easy, let me tell you.  Worked pretty steadily until about 2:30, even though I was dragging my ass.  I felt drugged, like a zombie.  You know that ‘distant’ feeling.  I hate it.  But I had no choice.  Clients needed to have work done.  So that’s what I did.

Had to buy some wine so I met a friend for lunch, and went to the liquor store.  Just those two tasks exhausted me.  Couldn’t wait to get back home.  Tried to do some work, but my eyelids just wouldn’t stay open.  Thought to myself, “I’ll just lay down for a few minutes.”


When I’m very tired, something must happen to my body temperature, because I always get cold.  So I got into my bed, instead of just laying on top of it.  Well that was the kiss of death.  I swear I went into a coma.  Immediately.  I don’t even remember closing my eyes.

If I hadn’t needed a bio break I think I would have slept through the night.  It was 9:30 p.m.  I’d been soundly asleep for about five hours.  So soundly, I swear the building could have collapsed around me and I would have slept through it.  I also had a strange dream, which often happens when I’m in such a deep, heavy sleep.

Don’t remember all of it, though.  I was at an aunt’s house.  And I was upset because I’d been asleep and she let a client come to the house to pick up copy I’d written. I remember saying to her, “How could you let a client come to the house without asking me first?  I’m wearing my pyjamas, for God sake.  I can’t meet with a client in my pyjamas!”

And then I woke up.  Dazed and confused.  But thankfully, alone.  No clients present.

Can you analyze dreams?  I can’t.  But I think the message here is, I’ve been working very hard.  Putting in long, long hours.  And it’s time for a wee rest.  Where my aunt fits into the picture, I don’t know.


8 thoughts on “Day 229. Sleepless Night

    • Exactly. Last night was a bit better, but it still wasn’t great. Sometimes it takes me a few nights to get back into it.

  1. Been there. Last week I was meant to be in lectures at 9. Leave by quarter to 8 to get across London and skip rush hour.
    I woke up at 11. I had no recollection of waking up or hearing my alarm, but my other half swore that I had woken up, turned off the alarm and apparently said ‘I’m not going in’. It’s amazing the things the body will do when it hasn’t had enough sleep.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.