I was just trolling through my file of WordPress Daily Prompts looking for some inspiration and this one seemed to call out to me: “A classic question, revisited: What are the five items you must have on a deserted island?”
Not easy, is it?
At least I don’t think so. It takes some thought.
- Right off the top I know I’d need sunscreen. Lots of it, too. Last thing I’d want to worry about is sunburn. Or even worse, skin cancer. I can live without make-up and hair dye, but I insist on protecting my skin from the elements. If that doesn’t prove I’m a glass-half-full type of woman nothing will. I know some of you out there are saying to yourselves, “You’re never going to survive. So why bother with sun screen?” Well, I plan on surviving. Worst case, if I run out, I will have to forage for aloe and other plants with good healing properties. Which leads me to my next item. A perfect segue, as they say.
- I’m not one of those people who hates being alone. I love it. The idea of being on an island by myself is not at all distressing. But I must have books. I love to read, and I am going to have some time on my hands. I’m also going to have to learn how to do a lot of things, in order to survive. Things I am either no good at now, or wouldn’t even know where to begin. So I am afraid I am going to need a wireless device. You know, like an iPad. So I have an endless supply of reading material; and I have access to Google and how-to books. Email and phone are not necessary. I’m quite happy to be completely incommunicado. Music would be a nice-to-have, though — iTunes, stays. I have a lousy voice, but seeing as how I’ll be there alone I’ll be able to sing my heart out, without disturbing anyone. Bonus!!
- If a deserted island will have anything, it will have coconuts. So I will have plenty of liquids — I happen to love coconut water, which is very good for you — and they also provide some nourishment — you can eat the jelly — it’s quite good. Happily, hydration will not be a problem. I will need a machete to hack off the top, though. But seeing as how this is a wish list I’m making, can my machete please be light enough for me to pick it up and swing it around? They’re heavy suckers, you know. I’m sure there will be the regular coconuts as well — so I’ll have that meat to eat as well.
- Realistically I will also need a knife. A big one. The thought of killing any living creature is repugnant to me, but let’s face it. Man (or woman) cannot live on coconuts alone. I will be on an island, after all. Fish will be plentiful. I could be stuck there a long time. Dying of starvation isn’t much fun, I don’t think. Happy to live on vegetables and nuts and fruit, if they grow on the island. That would be ideal, but I somehow don’t think I get to choose what kind of island I end up on. So just in case …
- No, I have not saved my last item for matches. First of all, they would have been ruined when I ended up in the water. Second, I doubt I would have had that many with me. Certainly not enough to last months or even years until I’m found. Which is why the iPad is so important. Hopefully I’ll learn the technique for rubbing two sticks together in order to start a fire. Even though I was a Girl Guide, starting fires was never one of my strengths. But it’s amazing what you can do when you’re desperate. Worse comes to worse I can pretend it’s sushi, but I would much prefer to be able to grill my bounty.
You know what? I think I’m good to go. Resourcefulness, ingenuity and creative thinking will definitely be called for. But I think my 5 items are all the tools I need to inspire myself. That and my natural survival instincts.
What do you think? Have I forgotten anything important?